Getting a New Zealand VisaThere are 2 main types of NZ visa for entry into New Zealand. A New Zealand Working Holiday Visa and a New Zealand Tourist Visa. In order to work legally in New Zealand you must have a valid New Zealand Working Holiday Visa. The NZ Immigration website can be a bit confusing, so we’ve included links to the most commonly asked about pages below.
Requirements for a New Zealand Working Holiday VisaIf you are a resident in one of the countries listed below you are able to apply for a Working Holiday Visa:Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Latvia, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Peru, Poland, Philippines, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, UK, USA, Uruguay and Vietnam
In order to obtain a New Zealand Working Holiday Visa you must
- Be between 18-30 years of age (at the time of applying)
- Activate your visa with the New Zealand immigration authorities within 12 months of getting your visa granted.
- Hold sufficient funds (at least NZ 4,200) to cover your stay.
- Have an onward ticket or hold sufficient funds to purchase an onward ticket to leave NZ.
- Not bring children with you.
- You will need to show evidence of medical insurance
- For UK citizens applying for a 23 month visa you will be required to undertake a medical exam and show medical certificates.
A Working Holiday Visa allows you to
- Travel and work in New Zealand for a period of up to 12 months. You have one year to activate the visa from when it is granted.
- Work for any employer as long as it is not a permanent job.
- You can also study for up to 6 months of your stay.
- Leave and re-enter New Zealand multiple times whilst your visa is valid.
- You can extend your stay in certain circumstances while you’re in New Zealand, if you’ve been working in the horticulture or viticulture industries for 3 months.
- UK citizens have an option to extend their stay for a period of up to 23 months.
- Citizens of Malaysia and Singapore are entitled to work and travel for a period of up to 6 months.
Travel & Work in Stunning New Zealand
NZ Visa – Extension Work VisaIf you have an NZ Working Holiday Visa and you would like to stay a bit longer, it is possible to secure a 3 month extension to your current visa – and you don’t need a job offer.
Visa Extension RequirementsIn order to obtain an extension you must
- Be in New Zealand on a Working Holiday Visa
- Have completed 3 months seasonal work (planting, maintaining, harvesting or packing crops) in the horticulture or viticulture industries. (This does not need to be continuous or for the same employer)
- Continue to maintain medical insurance if this was a requirement on your existing Working Holiday Visa
- Continue to maintain sufficient funds to live and leave New Zealand at all times during your stay
With this extension visa you can:
- Stay for an additional 3 months in New Zealand
- Travel in and out of New Zealand
- Work for whichever employer you want
- Study for 6 months of your total stay
Do Seasonal Work to Get an extension!