Tax Information New Zealand – IRD Number
In order to work in New Zealand legally you will need to apply for an IRD number. An IRD Number is a unique number issued to you by the Inland Revenue, which allows you to work and pay taxes!
To apply for your IRD Number visit http://www.ird.govt.nz/.
In order to get your IRD number you will need to provide the following documentation:
- Your Passport and one of the following:
- Driver’s Licence (accompanied with an English translation if not already in English)
- ‘Offer of Employment’ letter on company headed paper
- Letter confirming registration as a student in New Zealand
Your IRD Number should take between 2 – 3 weeks to arrive. You do not have to wait for it to arrive before starting any employment, once you have applied you will be given a temporary number.
Anyone holding a Working Holiday Visa is entitled to a tax return, so all or part of the tax they paid whilst working in New Zealand.
In order to apply for your tax return you need to:
- Contact the Inland Revenue about 1 month before you are due to leave New Zealand. You will need to explain that you are coming to the end of your Working Holiday Visa and would like a tax return.
- They will either send you the correct forms to fill out or advise which form to fill out online.
- You will need to provide back account details or a credit card for your tax to be returned to you.
You can contact the Inland Revenue on a freephone number (from within New Zealand): 0800 227 774 (if calling via a mobile phone from within NZ dial 04 978 0738 or from outside of New Zealand: +64 4 978 0779. Most departments at the Inland Revenue are open from 8am – 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am – 1pm on a Saturday.
Alternatively you can find more New Zealand tax information at http://www.ird.govt.nz/