Tax Back Australia

taxback australia tax information australia

Tax Back Australia| Claim Back your Tax Australia

It’s my favourite time of year again – no, it’s not Christmas time yet – it’s tax refund time! If you have worked at all during your time in Australia then your employer will have withheld tax – and from July you can claim it back!

Many temporary workers in Australia overpay tax and are due some kind of a refund. Everyone who works in Australia must file a tax return at the end of the financial year or before you leave Australia. There are fines for people who do not file a return. Maybe you’ve been working a few solid months of bar work or been travelling around while doing odd jobs? Either way you may be due tax back for a number of reasons such as you didn’t work the whole year, you were paying the wrong rate or you may even be entitled to claim back some expenses.

Here are some common questions about how to claim your tax refund:

“What do I need to file a tax refund?”

You will need what is known as a Group Certificate or a PAYG summary which is a statement from your employer which shows how much money you earned and how much tax was withheld during the tax year. If you have had multiple jobs while you have been working in Australia, you will need a Group Certificate or a PAYG summary from each employer. Once you have this you can apply for your tax refund as soon as the tax year ends on 30 June or when you are leaving Australia, whichever comes first.

“How do I file my tax refund?”

You can do it online, use a paper form, use a tax agent or if you’re a Jobsearch member have a chat with your local office. (Find out more about your different options for claiming tax back).

Doing it online is free but can be confusing, so it’s worth considering using a tax agent. We recommend who specialise in working holiday makers. They also offer a no obligation free quote on your return so you get to see an estimation on what you are owed first. prices for working holiday makers are:

  • If refund is under $1100, the fee is $99 + HF of $19.80
  • If refund is over $1100, the fee is 9% of refund + HF (HF is 20% of the 9% fee for refund)

“How long does it take?”

Standard tax returns normally take 2 – 3 weeks. Early Assessments (early tax returns before June 30th) can take up to 6 – 8 weeks.

“What are some examples of work related expenses I can claim back?”

Example of work related expenses you can claim are Safety Equipment (safety boots, high visibility vest, etc), Stationary, Tools, Travel records between jobs and work sites, Uniform and Laundry expenses – DON’T FORGET YOUR RECEIPTS!

“What should I spent my tax refund on”?

Me? I’m going to buy that Digital SLR camera that I have been dreaming about…