taxback australia tax information australia

Tax Information Australia, including Tax File Number (TFN) & Tax Returns

Tax File Number – TFN
In order to work in Australia legally you will need to apply for a TFN (Tax File Number). A TFN is a unique number issued to you by the Inland Revenue, which allows you to work and pay taxes!

You have to be in Australia to apply for a Tax File Number. But it doesn’t take too long to arrive.

You can apply for your Tax File Number online if you’re a foreign passport holder, are in Australia and have a visa which allows you to work (417 or 462).

To fill in the online application you’ll need
  • Your passport number or travel document
  • An Australian postal address the TFN can be sent to
You’ll receive your TFN within 28 days, although it’s often a lot quicker than that. The online application will only take you about 20 minutes complete.

You don’t have to wait for your Tax File Number to arrive before starting any employment because once you’ve applied you’ll be given a temporary number.

Apply online here

Tax Rates – Working Holiday Makers

As a working holiday maker (ie you have a 417 or 462 subclass visa) you will only pay 15% tax on earnings up to $37000 a year.

Once you start work with a new employer give them a TFN declaration. This helps your employer tax you at the correct rate.

Your employer must register themselves as an employer of a working holiday maker. If they’re not registered then you’ll be paying a rate of 32.5%! You should be able to claim this back though.

Tax Return

Anyone holding a Working Holiday Visa is likely to be entitled to a tax return, so all or part of the tax they paid whilst working in Australia could be returned! Plus you can also get your superannuation returned.
There are several ways for you to apply for your tax return
  • Online You can apply for your tax return online here. Online tax return applications usually take 14 days.
  • Paper ReturnThere’s is a paper application that can be downloaded from here. Once you have completed the forms you can send them back to the address at the top of the form. This means a tax return can take longer, normally around 50 days.
  • Use an agent You can also use an agent, although they will take a cut of your tax return
My advice is to check out the online tax return form. If you find that it’s too complicated then you can consider using a tax agent to help you.

You can contact the Inland Revenue from within Australia on: 13 28 61 or from outside of Australia on: +61 2 6216 1111 The Inland Revenue is open from 8.30am – 4.45pm Monday to Friday.

Read more about Tax Back Australia, alternatively you can find more information at Please be aware of recent changes to Tax for working holiday makers. Read More Here.